Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Central Park, melting


Checkin' IN!!!

Well, Travel for me is on the up-tick.  I have ben in NYC and Florida.  All I can say is HUMID.  My runs have not been consistent, but they have been good.  Last night however was strange.  i strapped my watch to my leg, was paying attention to 'feel'.  First mile was popping, and I thought I was going slow.  Well, I was WRONG.  What a fumble.  First mile was sub 8 minute and it made the rest of the run/walk a catastrophe.  The phot above shows how wet from sweat I was.

The previous week in Orlando Florida was similar.  It was a better run, but on the return it was fairly dark and I wasn't able to really monitor my surroundings.  the good thing is the path I was on was secured from vehicular traffic and only a few cycling enthusiasts really passed me.  Again it was  a high humidity index and I was drenched with sweat.  My shirt was wet when I returned home even - ewwwwww.

So for my birthday I was gifted a book from Liz's Mother and Father.  Well I wasn't planning on reading it but I was mad bored on the plane and travel isn't what it once was now having a growing family and the grind of sitting with many travelers.  Some happy and others disgruntled.  Me I just try to make the best of the situations i encounter.  So here's the book info:

Reading a new book and a few quotes really resonated with me today.


"Excuses and alibis prevent us from being accountable, for taking responsibility. Sure it's part of our nature to blame others, but if you keep going down that road there can be no destination, just road." - Wayne Bennett


"The people who separate themselves in any line of work do so by being creative and by paying attention to detail. And neither of these things happen without energy and love. That's the secret of life" - John Buccigross

"ninety-nine percent of failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses. - George Washington Carver

Thought I'd share, as this book is truly not just for sports performance but for mental strength and fortitude too. Felt it was worth sharing.   This author just knows how to explain things in a way that resonates with me.  A thought he shared that I cannot get out of my mind is - 


In an objective driven model, Winning is abnormal.
I never stopped to think of it like that.  He explained using a Tennis tournament example where 265 entrants started and by and by there is 1 ultimate winner and 264 different losses. So the tables are not in favor of being positive nor fearless.  The good thing is:  This year with the challenges of life, I really reset this year to take on my mindset and mental fitness and toughness.  Although I had no intent to start reading this book, it was and is a pleasant surprise and a well thought out gift from my in-laws.

Here's a link to some of the authors speaking engagements at a Brigham Young University devotional:
Craig Manning - Power Words

Also, We took the kids to the Utah Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City on Saturday.  It was HOT, HOT, HOT.  But overall, the kids loved it.  Dennis took pictures and ate food.  Juniper got an umbrella and loved the monkeys, tigers, polar bear and much more.  Astrid was tired out and slept most of the ride home.

I'm still trying to find my MOJO, but I am running when I can and feel like I want to.  It's the 'want to' with all the corporate stress and stuff that is not where I would like it.  I guess I am more mentally fatigued then I want to believe.  However, I am indeed grateful.  Grateful for life and where Liz and I are at.  We have a good solid thing.  hopefully we can keep hanging on.  On July 16, we celebrate 14 years of marriage.  Whoda thunk?  Well, we did!  And we are doing the best we can, because of our love for each other, and for what we have created.  It's been a wild and slippery ride.  Oh so worth it!

Looking forward to whats around the corner - no ideas really - and doing our best in the now.


Activities - 

I use the following trackers:
  • Garmin Connect (which pushes the files to the following services):
    • Training Peaks
    • Strava
    • and the ones I don't remember (Map my stuff via Under Armour and things like the Great Bicycle ride initiative stuff)
Honestly, I mainly use Training Peaks as I pay for an annual subscription on it now, and it is the most detailed in data and other helpful information to keep me where I want to go.

Relevant Pics

No dad, don't take me to my bed - post zoo day

Astrid and I at the zoo, before she konked out

aping around :)

eat your food dennis!

no pictures dad - geesh!

Daddy's home!

Me and Adelina - Haven't seen her since the Strasbourg project.  She's nervous as her first home purchase and offer was just accepted.  She's living the dream.  Was so good to see and hear the wonderful ways life has surprised her and her new opportunities - marriage, home and health.

After 8 years, I was brought into a corporate office.  Should I be nervous?

Looking for gators to wrestle.

trying not to melt

pre-trip shenanigans.

#truth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]