Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

It's 2021, and what's that?  YEs, not much significantly changes from 2020, the problems, challenges, opportunities, perceptions and realities has not epically shifted and magically disappeared.  So, staying in my lane, working on my headspace, appreciating my family and expressing gratitude as often and as openly as possible.  Life isn't perfect, but hot damn, it is a great life!!!


Checkin' IN!!!


I take issue with this quote from Macca. I have always subscribed to the notion: "Play to win and sometimes have fun, play to have fun and you will always win". I like what the RD Steve DelMonte (DelMo Sports) says before most races he hosts. "Folks today, some of you will race, but we all get to "PLAY" triathlon today!". Steve then typically speaks about the appreciation of the community and the activities and journeys. While I think Macca is in a different highly competitive space - so perception and perspectives are at play here, I do not think every triathlete or endurance sports triathlete gets to this competitive plane.  Rather, they get to the place where their own personal perception, value, integrity and journey can determine this, and to me that is okay.  For many, triathlon is a hobby, it is a release, it is what allows them to feel alive beyond the hamster wheel of responsibility in the sham of supposed work/life balance paradigm.

I started to read a new book - "The Obstacle Is the Way" by Ryan Holiday.
Another quote that is short and simple struck me, this time by Benjamin Franklin - 

"those things that hurt, instruct!"




When I reflect upon this, trials, challenges, unmet expectations, unwise emotional investments, injuries, traumas and the like ALL provided different levels of instruction - the vital key to me though, was I listening and learning? 

2020 has provided a lot of opportunities for me, many were seized because I chose to, others were acknowledged and I actively chose to ignore or abstain, and others may have come and gone with or without notice. I am a believer that it is impossible for the mind/body to compartmentalize stress. So, I try to keep enough space for me to be present and actively engaged. Both in my career and and in personal vectors, this quote digs deep into my headspace and I am grateful for the many lessons learned. I am even more grateful for the wisdom that allows me to reminisce!

Another quote is: "“Oh how blessed young men are who have to struggle for a foundation and a beginning in life. I shall never cease to be grateful for the 3 and 1/2 years of apprenticeship and the difficulties to be overcome, all along the way.” — John D. Rockefeller"

I think I had a label or a categorization of myself wrong for years, I was often told I was a pessimist, I'd counter with 'realist'. However, I think the term "stoic" is the most apt description. What I lacked was the mindset and the headspace I had not yet earned. I liked a clip from Matthew McConaughey


where he said his hero was himself 10 years from now, there is a a lot of wisdom in that thought construct. Lessons learned and wisdom gained, growth is awesome when you allow it and nourish it!

Swimming

So, of recent I feel that I am finding my groove again. I recently had a thought and I totally flipped the shark in my contextual thinking about this.  I have been perusing plans and watching a lot of local swimmers.  I recently had this experience and I feel I should share the interaction here mainly as a reminder for me.  I posted about it on Facebook: 
Getting it in, let's go. 1 hour pool session, no watch, wall clock, forgot about distance just swam for time and feel. It was a reframe swim. As I took this pic pre swim, some dude comes running in, straps on snorkel. And starts swimming. That kind of jolted me (pool was full and I was about to take the lane that just cleared) , so I caught myself, and as I let it go about 100 yards into his swim, he stops and asks 'we're you waiting for this lane?'. Yes I was, but get your workout in, I said, your choice wasn't about me, so let's not start now. At the end of his swim, and about 1 mile into mine, I had invited another swimmer to split, this type announced his lane was going to be free. Awww, Christmas is in the air. Swimming is my sanctuary and I almost let the actions of another disrupt my headspace. Almost, almost.
I was nearly jolted out of my decent mindset and disrupted and bothered.  I was beside myself, and that he even stopped and asked was even more frustrating because I was clearly getting up to wake to the lane and get in.  I am glad I collected myself and although a bit terse, that I was able to respond the way I did.  My boundary was crossed, and I wasn't happy about it.  Sure I didn't want to come off as a jerk, but I wasn't going to be run over either.  So, I held my ground and delivered the strong line from above.  I'm enjoying the swims again.  The post swim itch is getting a bit annoying, and I need to figure that out.  Maybe I do need to get the Zyrtec like the dermatologist offered as a recommendation to help control my eczema outbreaks.  

So my swims I am feeling like I am in heading in the correct direction.  I am back to swimming a nautical mile and up to 2200 yards or so for my weekly long swim.  I am trying to maintain a 3-4 times a week frequency.  I'd like to get under 40 minutes for the 70.3 and just to come out strong for the Full swim and not be destroyed.  I'd like to be able to go into the bike strong so that I can have gas enough to withstand the brutal rn of 26.2 miles in the Sacramento October weather.  So it is nice to return back to the 'sanctuary' and be able to recalibrate and begin the process. The shift from lap counting to 10 minute blocks is also changing my perceived exertion and associated perspectives.  Lastly I received a few compliments from other swimmers noting how fast I am, granted I graciously alert them that I don't feel fast, but I said thank you and kept moving.

Cycling

So, I have established a Rouvy subscription and put in a couple post vasectomy procedure rides.  The cycling trainer rides aren't pretty yet and it is just a start.  Finding the comfort I am familiar with in the bike saddle will take a bit of time.  I will say that it has been good to get back and pedal.  It's nice to not have to worry about traffic and the being completely aware of everything but the cycling.  Well, there is one distraction on the trainer.  The sweat.  Seriously, it's like turn on the faucet.  My work space and supposed pain cave hovers around 65 degrees.  Even in that it was a festival of perspiration.  MOre to come and updates will follow as I journal things moving forward.

Running

Running has been on the back burner.  I have gone on a few runs, but its time to put in the 20 minutes of running at least daily.  I need to figure out how and where and to manage the fatigue and associate stress.  Once I get that going then I will be in full swing.

Moving Forward

Looking at doing 70.3 St George in May (May 1, 2021),I need to work through if we can locate lodging and afford it for the family.  Chasing options as our normal go to is not currently available.  So not looking forward to that and with Covid etc, not sure what other options may be available just yet.  Sowe will see about that.

I am having to rely on being self coached.  It just isn't in the budget to do anything better.   I am kind of gleaning everything I can and trying to accomplish what I know from my 4 70.3 experiences - completed 4 in 6 years and ready for a th if I can make it align.  Then knowing that the overall endurance leap from Mid May/June to October is not IMMENSE.  If I can manage my stress and not over train and land in injury, I will be well positioned to finish in October.  The questions outstanding are:
  • With Covid will a race in California occur
  • Same with May 1 - St George 70.3
  • How will I manage time with family and training
  • Can I self coach myself and not give myself too much grace
  • Will October be a I am a finisher event or will I be ready to actually RACE
  • Plenty more questions for sure.

So for now, it's one step at a time. Starting where I am at and not blowing myself up.  Being aware that I am human not a machine.  I will try not to be too schmucky as I train.  I will try to continue to engender an inclusive come train with me attitude and approach.  I will try to be the best dad and husband while I train up.   I will do my best!


Activity Tracking and Stalking My Workouts - 

Relevant Pics





















Because Hashtags Matter

#zentriathlete #zenfamily #familybalancetri #desire #determination #discipline #Dedication
#lifestylenotjusttraining #fitbalancehealth #headspace #travel #simpleman #alljourneysbeginwithonestep #sharetheroad #wildtriathlete #wildrunner #walkthecliff #fearthebeard #burntheisland #stayathome #roadtoIMStG2020 #gratitudecookies #grateful #gratitude #lifelessons #sanctuary #justbreathe #perspective #itisntalwayspretty #consistency #beatyesterday
#teamzootmtn #teamzoot #garmin #hydratefaster #smithoptics #speedfil #teamzealios #zealios #zootsports #c26 #c26triathlon



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]