Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]



Checkin' IN!!!

Crimson Trail - Favorite Routes Post (LINK)

Well, Its been an interesting week.  Firstly, I wanted to take on a run I did.  I left my porch and did the following:


So, it was a long for me activity.  I walked out with no intentions other than to make it up to BST tunnel.  I felt it from there and things were good.  So I just kept going.  I was taking my time and just putting in miles so I ended up above the switchbacks.  It was a good run.  It was the warmest part of the day however it wasn't too too bad.  The only thing I neglected was having enough water, meaning I didn't take any.  It was a good slow run though.  I was able to grab over 1000 ft elevation and I didn't have to drive anywhere to achieve the hills.  I was gone a bit longer as I stopped a few places to grab a few pix.  And this is all accessible to me and my family with about a 2.5 mile walk/run to where many of the pix are taken.  What a great place to live.  A few folks were ont he trail, and a few wave backs.

Thought I'd grab some pix!

UP, up, up!  BST switchbacks from first dam. 

Education about Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

The no hill at the beginning option.  Looking East into Logan Canyon.

to climb or not to climb?  The answer should always be YES!

The options for trails - BST, Logan Canyon, under bridge to 1st Dam.

1st Dam

Overlook from HIgh Line trail looking over first dam with Wellsville in the far background.

The sign at the foot of the switchbacks.  I wanted to grab this milage for reference from my home.



The Crimson Trail With Dennis

Well, this activity was a long time coming.  And I was able to get him to come out with me finally.  It was a late start, but I was able to get him out after a long Sunday.  After our faith-based services, and a family meeting, we were on our way.  I was trying to get it so we could bring his drone,  but that didn't work, so we still made it out the door.  We made good time up to Spring Hollow or third dam.  We parked the car and got to it.  Dennis was ready to be done at first when we got to the bridge and the trailhead.

Nearing the trailhead, tot he left if you continue straight it takes you up toward syncline. up, up, up.
Dennis at the trailhead sign.

Dennis and I, it's not a fake trip.
 We continued past the sign and Dennis was starting to settle in.  He was concentrating on the things he couldn't control, and I tried to help him focus on what he could.  Along the way up the switchbacks, we captured some of the following views looking back into the valley and over at Wind Cave Trail Way.

How can I convince dad that 400 vertical feet is enough, Nice try son, but we just kept going.


Enjoying the switchback stop.


Dennis was able to see back into the valley and catch a glimpse of the Wind Caves where he has been able to go and play a few times.  This time I had him concentrating on the rock bands to which he would be hiking over.  He was quite concerned and nervous about me falling, and of course him too.  We are able to talk and catch up a bit.  I focused on things that he needed to learn to help himself.  The 'what can he control', let's just worry about the next five minutes, that kind of things.  He still plotted and imagined my heart attack, and fall, and imminent difficulties while on the trail.  He was highlighting how he would have a MOST difficult time getting home.
Dad, I don't think I can go Farther!
That one wasn't too bad to overcome, it was his oh 'Shizz' and his telling me that his nose was bleeding.  it returned.  So i changed shirts and sacrificed the one I was wearing so he may control things.  He has always kind of had pressure and altitude bleeds, this one being no different other than its years after tonsil and adenoid removal.


Nursing the nose bleed.  Wind Cave way off tot he right.


Well, we were able to get things under control and just kept moving. We finally got up the initial 1100 ft climb over the first mile and Dennis legs were burning.  With the bleed under control, we were able to get to the cliff bands.  At the beginning of the post, the video shows Dennis coming around fun cliff band.  I asked him if he wanted a picture or a video.  both dad!

Dennis pausing for a pic and a drink

Dennis looking out over the Logan Canyon and looking into the greater Cache Valley

Drink it up, medicine for the soul!
The difficulty and the challenge we were encountering was having enough time to get to the cliff band and then get down before its too late.  Well, we made it to the notable cliffs.  Dennis wanted to prance around and play, but we had to get moving.  Getting down in the dark was going to be a bit interesting with Dennis in the dark with a headlamp and a phone light and a boy that often gets overwhelmed in anxiety.  Because we were in the waning hours of dusk, the pix kinda turned out but not as crisp as I like!

The clear picture.






We quickly got moving to get down an around the cliff bands.  We lit up our lights and got to work.  Back to helping Dennis control the things in front of him.  I asked him why the sounds of the forrest are important.  I also wanted him to understand and know what breathing meant.  How it could help him measure and understand what his body was trying to tell him and also how he stayed warm or comfortable in the changes of the sunset and into the dark.  There were a few moments of him going, oh Shizz Dad!  Again, taking time, letting him see that I was in pretty torn up shoes and I wasn't as comfortable as I would like to be.  A few sit-downs and crab walks, and a lot of hussle to get us down.

Overall, it was a great time out and about and we had a good time out there.  Annnnnd!   Now Dennis can say he has done the Crimson Trail, and also over half in the dark.  :)

The data around the Crimson Trail!

There we go!  

Last but not least - Astrid turned 2!

Astrid enjoying some ice cream with Dad and Juniper.

Astrid cake - made by Liz - great job mom!


Activities - 

I use the following trackers:
  • Garmin Connect (which pushes the files to the following services):
    • Training Peaks
    • Strava
    • and the ones I don't remember (Map my stuff via Under Armour and things like the Great Bicycle ride initiative stuff)
Honestly, I mainly use Training Peaks as I pay for an annual subscription on it now, and it is the most detailed in data and other helpful information to keep me where I want to go. Use the 'Links', then 'Track me' section to find and stalk me if that's your thing.

Relevant Pics

The big run for me, as of late.

The sign at the foot of the switchbacks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]