Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Go Blue!   The Big House at U of Michigan!

Checkin' IN!!!

There has been a lot going on.  I decided to restart my running block this week, and with travel and the stress of a new customer, it was interesting.  I am in and near Ann Arbor Michigan to support a local Community College.  It's an interesting opportunity and many of the folks involved are just great people, so emotions and stress and feelings were circling all around me this week.  That being said, I found the time and I was able to reboot my running.

I went for two major runs and I was able to get 30-45 mins of strength training in as well.  The first run was interesting, i was gauging where I am at, and trying to just 'cruise'.  At one point the running multi-use path I was on came to be quite narrow with overgrowth.  Two highly kitted up riders were behind me, I hear them about 3 seconds before stepping aside, signalling with my hand and letting them pass.  The male cyclist muttered a last-minute 'Thank you' as he passed, and I was said - 'No Problem, next time let me know you are there'.  No reaction.  This is one of the challenges in the world of outdoor sporting/hobbying etc.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
~~George Bernard Shaw
There was no communication, I heard a freehub spin and a wheel noise, and light conversation but it wasn't directed at me.  I understand a lot of folks don't get how to communicate.  Many are also lugged in supposedly - but really how plugged in are you with earbuds and noise distractions - I run and cycle without music.  The freedom from the music keeps me tuned in to my body's direct feel.  Heart rate, perceived effort, am I dying or am I being stupid?  Am I aware of things around me that may affect my personal safety?  To each their own!  To me, this is how I can continuously monitor mitigate risk and adapt during my workouts.  The rest of the run was great.  A stunning sunset got to connect with Liz and the girls for a few at my turn around point.  It was a mildly hilly run and was good.  I sweat a lot!  I didn't need water for those almost 5 miles but drank a lot on the return

My second run was solid.  I was able to run toward the 'Big House' - The Michigan Football stadium.  I also took the liberty to wander around the baseball field, old life, old dreams.  Measuring back, I'm grateful how life's bumps and changes shaped me.  But, it was awesome to run around what were once monuments to me.  While sweating like a fish, it was great to see a tribute statue to Shemblechler, run around Yost Ice stadium, the field hockey fields and the softball and baseball facilities too.  These athletes have access to nearly infinite resources.  It was great and convenient to just wander for a mile and then head on back and finish my run.  It kept me in a good headspace and my running in a good space.  I wasn't over running for the heat nor the dew point.   

A few things in starting back into a focused run block.  Making sure I do not over-run.  10 miles after a break-in multiple runs is leaving my quads a bit sore, not shelled, but sore.  My hips are also feeling it a bit.  One of the major things I need to resolve is new shoes.  The On's I am using have nearly 900-1000 miles.  Other than that, I was able to control things, slow down, stay in a zone where I wanted to be given the heat and the sweat fest.  I was able to look around and enjoy things.

One thing I will say about the running route I chose.  It was interesting because I went by a yellow school bus storage facility and also had to cut through a University residential set of condos.  Other than that and wondering if I was going the right direction, It was a good and solid route.  There was a train track to cross but the crossing points were recently refreshed and I think the Michigan state colour and the flower is ORANGE...not blue.

Anyway, it was a great week, I am looking forward to going home and being with my wife and children as much as possible.  Love the opportunity to travel when it does present, but it does disrupt life and hobbies.  I do work with great folks and I was able to reconnect with a co-worker that he and I work remotely with each other a lot.  So it was good to rub shoulder and get to know him and his family, through him, a bit better.  Looking forward to some pool time with my daughters - no goals just play and then getting back to 10 - 13 mile accumulated next week.  One day, One step, one workout, one joy at a time.

I am focused on making sure my wife is happy and supported in recent months.  I hope I don't lose sight of how grateful I am to her -Liz, and the relationship she and I have directly and the children and our family.  I am grateful, I am blessed, it has been a long road and a lot of work, but the trust, the security and the understanding that it takes work every day is quite present and in the front of my mind as I start really chasing May 02, 2020.

phew!  Let's Fly!


Activities - 

I use the following trackers:
  • Garmin Connect (which pushes the files to the following services):
    • Training Peaks
    • Strava
    • and the ones I don't remember (Map my stuff via Under Armour and things like the Great Bicycle ride initiative stuff)
Honestly, I mainly use Training Peaks as I pay for an annual subscription on it now, and it is the most detailed in data and other helpful information to keep me where I want to go. Use the 'Links', then 'Track me' section to find and stalk me if that's your thing.

Relevant Pics





























No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]