Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Since 70.3 - focus on the family for a bit

Checkin' IN!!!

So in a recent Crushing Iron Podcast, they spoke about consistent habits.  One of the overall themes was swims and I wanted to speak to that today a bit.

I concur with the fellas, many in the triathlon discipline fall into two major camps -

  • was a swimmer
  • adult onset swimmer, just survive and get to my beloved biking or running

When I first determined I wanted to participate and complete triathlons, I thought, I can't swim, but it's so short I will just deal with it.  Looking back, really?  What was I thinking?  If this is you, beware.  So some context on my experience.

I decided I would participate in a 70.3 IM St. George in 2015.  IN the link, you will find that I didn't complete the swim in the allotted time (1 hour and 10 minutes or 70 minutes).  Granted, I went on to finish the course - again over time, but I finished.   Sure I completed the course, but not in the allotted time.  So I set out to work and somewhere along the timeline, Mike from C26 reached out and asked me to see if the C26 thing was something that I was attracted to.  The 12th episode really resonated with me, as I SUCKED at swimming.  I mean looking back, it was HORRIBLE.  My first swims were around 3 to 4 minutes per 100 yards.  What was I thinking?  Yes, I already said that!  And to think, hey it's mid-March, I best work this out.

So here's the difference over time:

 41 miles swam for the year

40 miles swam for the year 

74 miles swam for the year

I didn't do a 70.3 this year - the swim frequency and efficiency from 2017 still persists

33 Miles swam to date
The biggest things I see in my trends are simple.  Frequency and respecting the swim completely changed things.  I think I have highlighted this clip before but here it is for reference:

Between the "How to not Suck at Swimming" podcasts and the thought construct that was offered and it just all clicked for me.   I think I have stated this a bit before, but I was really disrespecting the swim.  It wasn't that I didn't want to, but I didn't understand a few things and after my last swim on May 4, 2019 in the recent 70.3 - I just really get it.  I was able to swim at about 70-ish percent effort and still finished my swim with a PR - which was my only discernable goal for the whole event, other than going strong.  What I noticed in T1 - I wasn't gassed, my mind was clear, I wasn't almost passing out from all the exertion and compression from my wetsuit.  Sure, I felt the onset of my light neck hickey, but I was in such a good place.  This allowed me to get right into the correct place with sunscreen, beginning nutrition on the frame and not burning my match on the bike.

So what did I personally do?  My first two years, I fought with respecting the swim.  I went and swam, picked up some drills and played with a kickboard.  Then when I heard the pull buoy challenge - I listened and tried it.  I found that I was able to learn about my personal body position and how horrible it was.  I learned and felt how much energy I was wasting in swimming poorly.  I was struggling to stay at about a 2 minute per 100.  Just two nights ago, I swam a 1:37 per 100 with my fastest lap being the last 100 without a PB.

I also learned I had to be in the water more, with fewer gaps.  I found that pool and water fitness is gained through consistent frequency and properly applied volume.  I quite swimming 1 mile straight and began to focus on 50 yd and 100-yard sets.  Admittedly I do like to swim 1 or 2 times a week doing 400 or 500 yd sets.  But the changeup in these simple things allowed me space to learn how to breath - bi-lateral even, although now I tend to swim breathing on one side and change it on each pool length to keep things even.  I do believe for me, as I did on May 4, 2019  - one side breathing every stroke was a gamechanger for me.

I continued to see that every time I had life or work get in the way and I wasn't in the pool as frequently, that it affected my swim, but what I really learned is how relatively easy it was to regain it by re-applying frequency not long distance, and with frequency, volume came along.  I was getting more return on investment (ROI) through this rather than doing the - I have to just swim a lot longer approach.

I discarded all skill and drill type work that I was researching.  The PB really forced me into having the space to understand my stroke.  It was HORRIBLE.  I watched all the free content I could from Robbie, and still haven't been able to negotiate with myself the budget required for coaching - somethings just don't align.

I think the big thing that, even Liz would say, is I went from just dealing with the swim to it becoming my sanctuary.  My posts in social media turned from I have to swim to, I got to go and swim and clear my mind in my sanctuary.  I was learning to enjoy the swim more than the other disciplines.  I was noticing I was able to double up my run or bike and then also swim.  A lot of this is a reminder purely for me.  I need to keep things simple and remember what I need to do in order to prepare for the full Ironman swim distance.

On the ride home from the Civil Air Patrol, my son Dennis was like:  "how often do you swim dad?".  I said 3-4 times a week.  He was like"whoa, you know what you need to do.  Wait, how far do you swim?  How many laps? "  As I responded to each of his questions and he was just each time a bit of awe, he then goes.  "Dad, what you now need to do, is each time you swim, just add an extra lap".  He tries so hard.  He gets it a bit and is quite cerebral in his approaches although he comes off as very lazy at times.  He may still just one day get it if he survives as a teenager first :)

Anyway, I just wanted to write and pen out, that swimming doesn't have to be a chore, nor the neglected discipline.  Surely, I don't know how to really swim.  I first was introduced to swimming by my father years ago in the Hemet, California High School pool years ago.

and there's my dad!
I mean, with the correct perspective, with the right direction and understanding that you really only need, swim shorts/suit, goggles, swim cap (I shave my head now so only use at events if required), a pull buoy and perhaps bands.  That is it!  Then a persistent and more importantly consistent frequency in the pool or Open Water Swim.  Also, not standing around taking for minutes on end every session, sure it's clear that its ok to socialize or listen to another swimmer and engage from time to time - Afterall, I observe far too many people miss opportunities to be human and perhaps encourage and inspire or learn from another.

So in the end, I can't say swimming is always my favourite, but it has become a discipline I LOVE.  I enjoy it.  It is at times difficult to get in and get beyond that mother/father it's freaking cold today/tonight first few moments, but dang it.  I love being able to go, and let the world of stress melt away as I concentrate on the two required things in swimming:

  1. Being able to breathe correctly
  2. My stroke
That is swimming, and I have not just come to enjoy it but love it.  I really had a good solid experience at the last 70.3 IM St George on May 4, 2019.  I hope to build upon that and hope that I will be ready and prepared to meet the opportunity to swim 2.4 miles on May 2, 2020.  Maybe, just maybe I will respect things enough to surprise not only myself but Liz and Dennis and Juniper and Astrid, too!  Well, and anyone else following me too.  Never know who is watching.

Cheers!

Activities - 

I use the following trackers:
  • Garmin Connect (which pushes the files to the following services):
    • Training Peaks
    • Strava
    • and the ones I don't remember (Map my stuff via Under Armour and things like the Great Bicycle ride initiative stuff)
Honestly, I mainly use Training Peaks as I pay for an annual subscription on it now, and it is the most detailed in data and other helpful information to keep me where I want to go. Use the 'Links', then 'Track me' section to find and stalk me if that's your thing.

Relevant Pics










No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]