Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Started the day together, went our separate paths and finished together.  Brothers in iron!
Official Event Pictures by FINISHERPIX


Checkin' IN!!! and  Race Reflections!


Well Trying to think of where to start!  A few weeks prior to the event, I shared a post (Previous post about an old buddy - Click here!).  Well, low and behold, I found him on IG and we ended up connecting.  This experience led me to post this on facebook -
I love the connections made at Ironman events. They are typically small and short, but the significance and magnitude of the interaction(s) are often long-lasting, deep and profound. Grateful, sincerely grateful for this thing, and that I get to play it. Triathlon!
Oh, and I mean the interactions beyond family. I just feel slightly overwhelmed (on the positive stress side) this go, thanks to the C26 community. Thank you! Time to sleep.
Also, before the event, I connected with a friend that is in the main post photo, Cevan Skinner.  My wife got to meet my Tri/running friend and also his Significant Other.  Truly, he is just another common dude like me, but I have witnessed and observed his challenges from afar since connecting into this Ironman journey and it has been an honour to get to know him.  He's not perfect, but a great simple example.  Plus, he did me a solid by picking me up race day morning, and since his SO had a VIP spectator experience pass, this was just a great pick-me-up among some of the crappiest events that occurred prior.

PRE-TRIP STUFF

So pre-trip.  The last few days prior to the trip, Liz and I tried to get things in order.  The car we purchased used had some needed things - tires being the biggest thing.  Well, when we changed those, the wheel hub bearing assemblies on both the front wheels became problematic.  So much so, the stress grew and we decided to turn around as we were about to head into Sardine Canyon and get the car inspected on Thursday morning.   Low and behold, before leaving I bought a bike, that isn't really a bike, meaning - the two front wheel assemblies had the set of bearings replaced in the wheel hubs.  We tried to get the warranty we bought with the used vehicle, but they were just out of coverage.  We tried.  GRRRRRR.

After that 3 hour delay, some super high nerves and stress that was definitely unwanted, un-needed and un-welcomed, we got back on our way.  The kids did well.  They behaved.  We went quite fast for us and made it to the hotel before 10 PM.  It was a good thing too.  I had a few folks like Cevan and others watching us on Facebook and IG - they were wondering if things would just get too complicated.  So much so, I almost pulled the pin, dropped the family at home, and traded cars.  Liz and I had talked about that as an option a few days before, but neither of us wanted that.  This whole Iron thing has turned into our family journey and family event and this was a needed time away for all of us as a family unit.

TRIP

En route, WTC - the owners of the Ironman Triathlon brand released an announcement in conjunction with St George tourism:


The announcement (click here to see) was shared with me by various friends on facebook before the above email hit my inbox.  Liz turned to me when she saw a few of the posts and stated, well Shane, looks like next year you are doing the full, and in St George.  SAY WHAAAAAAAT!  That's right the full is coming back to St George and on a 3-year rotation.  I circled back in my head, to watching Wide World of Sports on channel 13 in Citrus Heights at the house on Quincewood Circle.  I was about Dennis age at the time, and watching my first Ironman - pre-Kona I think.  Watching Dave Scott and others mix it up.  I wondered why people would swim, then bike, then run FOREVER.  Some 30-ish years later, I get it, I want it, I may even get to do it :)

How crazy, about a half dozen friends reached out, and a few others I know at the event were all like, we're in.  I dunno if it will all come together, but things open up on May 21.  Now to figure out how to afford it.



ST GEORGE PRE EVENT

So, we get to St. George and nerves go down a million degrees, until - T1 setup and check-in.  I missed a small thing.  Nay, pretty HUGE.  I didn't realize that they changed the T1 format to a clean bike transition.


This meant, everything is in a bag and you will transition in a chair then head to your bike that is racked.  Oopsie.  And then, b/c I have family in tow, and Liz and I got to do it ourselves this year, the kids needed food, we needed things and well, despite the time slipping away, I got T1, setup and then realized I was running out of time for T2.



This is when I figured out what one thing I forgot.  It's ALWAYS one thing.  Well, it's my own fault as I was nonchalant and grabbed stuff in a lax manner.  I forgot my stupid amphipod race belt.  Luckily after stress overload until 9 pm at Dick's sports when I found a Spibelt and a Nathan quick lace packet, I was back to mellow yellow.

During the expo, I ran into a dude looking for race belts too.  We had a chuckle and went our ways, then I ran into him and his buddy at Dick's.  The way they were looking into buying nutrition, I felt so much better because I wasn't the only one that fumbled something.  It's so interesting.  We triathletes are so unique but so similar.  We fumble in our own ways, but also commit similar stupid mistakes in different ways.

So as I was hustling into t2, low and behold, with no coordination, my old buddy - Jason was there chatting on the phone.  NO doubt he was coordinating his stuff a bit too with his family.  Well, a great big hug, a quick catch up, exchange of phone numbers and we will catch up.  I had to go get food and come up with a race belt.  So, I hit Capriotti's for a vegetarian cheesesteak.  Hit the spot!

IRON KIDS

This is by far the best thing to do with your kids while participating in an Ironman branded triathlon.  If you are a ball of nerves, there is nothing better than watching your kids go out with the other kids and running across the same carpet that we run across to finish.  The joy and the obsession that some of these kids have in infectious and encouraging.  This is Dennis last year for Ironkids.  He loves it, even tho he keeps his excitement about it well-contained.  He is a great kid, stubborn and smart like mom and dad, but a good kid.  He was helping little Juniper.  Her first Ironkids.  They tried to entice Liz into having Astrid do one of the new ones, they have a toddler trot and a diaper-dash, but its a steep buy-in at 20 bucks.  Yes, we are a bit frugal, after all, I do hate paying for events.  Liz got things all lined up while I was at the athlete check-in and mandatory briefing.  Juniper loved her medal, her run, made a new friend and got a glimpse of what this is all about.  And best of all, she loved her pictures with brother ---

Brother helping sister get ready

Juniper in the zone on the carpet!  She mentioned watching the FB Live of dad coming through - I was on that carpet too DAD!

Dennis not caving and running strong!

Strong girls have strong role models



two happy girls!

Ironkids STRONG!
Juniper and Dennis were both in pictures of a local St. George newspaper and the photos are above.  Juniper loved the run.  For Juniper, it was a 1/4 mile loop which included the finishers chute.  Dennis did the same 1 mile as in years past, and it appeared that he had a good time.  We missed his clock time, but it looked like he was all in and trying his best.  IN the end, they both had a great time.  The new thing was having to come with a matching bib to release the kids.  A nice measure given all the weird stuff in the world lately.  It's a great event, and you don't have to be an Ironman participant to let your kids enjoy and participate.  Volunteers, participants and community members all come together in celebration of their children wanting to run!  It's AWESOME!

IM 70.3 St George EVENT

So, luckily I actually got a good solid night of rest.  We brought an extra cot this trip because we were staying at a Hampton Inn.  One room, 2 queen beds and no extra pull outs.  With a family of 5 and two toddlers under 4 years old, this can be a bit crazy.  We normally stay with my parents at a timeshare in St. George but it just wasn't in the cards this year.  So, we muscled up and figured it out ourselves.  Well, I got to bed starting around 11 pm and woke up at 4:15 AM.  I put myself together, said goodbye to Liz - to which I got the shortened "don't die" speech - two words - don't die, please!

Nutrition - I made a last-second decision in the morning and made 2 PB and J sandwiches.  I put my 2 bottles of EFS together and then grabbed an apple and banana as I headed out to wait for Cevan.  Happy dude hails me over to the gas pump.  It was on like Chaka Khan.  Cevan, Janice (SO) and I had a great ride out - simple conversation - keeping the nerves low and we drove right on up to the venue in the dark.

I started first by finalizing my transition bag, stuck in my pro bar nutrition choices - 2 meal replacement bars and 2 protein bars.  I ate the 2 meal replacements and 1 protein bar netting about 800 calories and had 3 bottles of EFS overall which was about another 360 or so calories.  I finally hit my calories.  I wanted to make sure I had enough calories and nutrition this time which I have struggled with in the past.  I think I did well, only missing one protein bar b/c it didn't keep well in the warmer conditions.

Then I set off to my bike.  This year was simple due to the nature of the transition.  Ok, so after pumping tires, and finally finding water for my between the bars set up, I was able to take my stuff (things I typically discard in morning bag) back to Cevan's truck and ran into him and Janice again.  We kept it simple and got a pre-event BM in .   .  Almost forgot, Cevan's rant at the port-a-loo's.  Chris Farley would have been proud - it was the time to be epic and that it was.  What a way to get out nerves, then he switched to the next open port-a-loo.

We then headed off to let Janice watch her pro friend Ashley take off in the pro women swim.  So, I am not a fan of the rolling start but it is what it is - overall decently coordinated but I wish they'd find a way to allow maybe 6 at a time or 8 but the ramp area is small, so I get it!.  I prefer the wave start, but oh well.  This race reflection isn't about that.

Cevan didn't want to over swim, so I hung back with him in the line-up. We stayed just outside of the swim start herd.  We kept things light, made some jokes.  My friend Jason came by, gave me his zen-thoughts and then looked at me and was like, why aren't you in here?  I responded with, all that energy isn't for me, just yet.  Keeping to my plan and executing my race.  PR swim, and then don't be stupid and finish under 8 hours.  :)  He looked at me and was like - dude totally missed you.  He had a great swim, too! 

proof we did it together on the same day.
Well, we mosied on in, dropped our flip flops off and headed into the corral.  A minute detail I forgot, Cevan went in a group before me, that's important later (3 seconds in front of me)  :)

SWIM (1.2 miles)


The volunteer at the gate held his hands up, I hear the "Beep/tone" and I'm off.  I stepped in and away I went.  And so, the long day began - the water was cold, but inviting.  It didn't take my breath away like years before, heck was this a mindset thing or am I just getting used to it?  My sole goal for this race was to PR my swim.  I got to work.  I took my time, got my face in the water, kept it down, got to my strokes, took some extra time to find my breathing pattern as the water was a fresh 62 ish degrees.  This year because of the nature of the course I just breathed to one side - skipping bi-lateral breathing - for each stroke cycle.  I had a few folks bump into me, but I swam steadily.  I wanted to feel in-the-groove by the first turn and well, I think I did just that.  I was swimming pretty steady and straight, then I felt my watch buzz, I was 500 yards in and then 1000.  I was at 21 minutes at 1000 yards.  So right on point.  When I made the final turn to head to the boat ramp I felt better than I ever have.  I kept a good effort, didn't overdo things, watched a few people slowing down as I just went steady.  there were about 4 guys/gals that were around me most of the way and we stayed solid while others had their day.

So, the nice thing about this swim is I was really swimming at about 80 percent effort.  I didn't want to come away gassed.  I wanted to be strong.  And I was, I nailed it by about a 7 - 8 minute PR.  I had a small hitch with the wet suit pullers.  But, my goggles and cap stuck right in my suit arm which made for a no-brainer wetsuit stash.  Then I was into transition, grabbed my Spibelt, with phone and stuck it inside my kit - later,  Liz informed me that the RoadID never went on after the swim.  Dang thing.  So, she had to use the Ironman tracker app and guess.  I got things sorted and headed to my bike.


Swim exit 47 -ish minutes!

Swim Lessons Learned

If you have the means, the VIP experience is worth it, I didn't have a VIP but had a friend get it for his SO and she had top access and plus prime parking - it was EXCELLENT.  Always look down in the port-a-loo - Cevan's rant was about the most epic thing I have witnessed.  it was great!  Don't trust the next guy though.  lol.  I really was in a great headspace and it was great to have a buddy to keep things calm and contained.  I have done 3 alone and by myself, and this was by far the most enriching b/c of being there with Cevan in the line-up.  Sure I was third fiddle but it was all good.  It was an excellent idea to wait outside the line next to an opening.  I had my other buddies stop and say hi, and I was able to own my own headspace and not get caught up in the energies of other's - I didn't have time for that - I had my plan and I was ready.  I executed well, but I have to get tri-slide for my neck.  I used KT Tape and still got a small neck hickey.  Other than that, discardable flip flops were excellent, and the company was great.  Also, let your friend go a group or two in front of you, you may need that 6 seconds if you finish together - I mean for the ultimate win and all!  Among friends, right?  :)

BIKE (56 miles)


The bike. I took my time, found my bike, and saw pump of sunscreen.  So, hearing Liz in my head, I handed my bike to a volunteer and lathered up, or so I thought. I felt this was where I was either going to blow it up meaning, burn my biscuits or light the match and burn out.  I started on my nutrition promptly, after the first hill climb out and the left turn but before the first honest climb.  Most folks forget that the first little climb out of Sand Hollow can tear you up immediately after the swim.  I almost collided with a younger participant that was complaining that his gearing wouldn't shift.  As I crested the hill on to Highway 9 and began enjoying the lovely chip-seal - I tore into my PROBAR stash and went to work.  I settled in quickly and didn't tear through the field on the climb like I did the previous events in 2015, 2016 and 2017.  I took my time.  Because of my aero position and lack of training, I couldn't really find a comfortable position in aero.  It really worked indoors but I wasn't liking it in the 60 or so miles I spent outdoors leading up to this event.  So eating and drinking and cruising.  I didn't tear into the downhills, but I made sure I had a great feel.

I felt that I was able to let go more and be faster on the downhills, more so than ever before.  Since having kids, that 'be stupid' edge has always been a bit more reserved, but I felt so much more comfortable, except my front wheel was a bit soft.  I made it to the first aid station and took two water bottles and sprayed my groin and neck.  It was starting to feel warm and I was trying to stay cool.  I kept feeling comfortable and cruising and where I could I just went after it within a solid real perceived effort.  I stayed around the same 4-5 folks and we played tag until aid station 2 where I stopped.  I had to pee, and couldn't get comfortable to do it while on frame.  I also pumped my front tire to a better pressure about 100 psi, and things felt much better.

Along the way, I was able to cross up on the parkway and be able to just take in the views.  It was great!  I wasn't in death mode and was thoroughly enjoying the 75 % efforts.  This carried me to aid station 3, where I came to a stop and filled up my 2 water bottles.  I had gone thru my two meal replacement bars, my 1 protein bar and 3 bottles of water with EFS.  Aid station 3 was at the entry of Snow Canyon.  The beauty of Snow Canyon was overwhelming this go.  Because I was trying to come back strong, I just took it in, all the elements around me.  I had to stop again, I had a snot ball in my nose, so I rocketed it out - was like a 1/4 cup size of mucus - yes I just shared that.  My allergies were not behaving.

I then got back to work and stopped one last time, then I zig-zagged up to the gatehouse.  It was warm and I felt like I could use another gear in here.  I don't know that I have options, but I was doing everything I could to not burn out, to keep steady and the biggest thing this go round - my head was on straight and I was in a strong headspace the whole time while gruelling through the spin through Snow Canyon. At the top a kid was about to hand me water and I was like, just soak me, he did!  It was awesome!  So I made the turn and was hoping for no cross or head winds this year and I was blessed, a little wind here and there, but it was go time again.

When I looked back at Strava, I missed my PR through Snow Canyon by 1 second, and I came to a complete stop 2 x's.  It's crazy that the heat had that effect.  BUT, this time I was able to cruise down into town with some real speed and little effort.  I was able to coast a good portion at good speeds for me - 30 + mph.


SO my bike stats weren't a PR but for me they were solid, for just trying to come back strong.  Most of my segments were my 2nd fastest and I wasn't pushing or trying to burn the matchbook.  I was trying to be strong so that I could have enough space, time and energy to finish my run.

Bike Lessons Learned

I was undertrained and I reminded myself of that.  I didn't have a mechanical but I had my chain slip and I small ringed most of the ride.  When the chain slipped once, I kept my head, geared to the big ring and SLOWLY pedalled it into place.  I had someone come up on me and was like, that was sooo cool, I have only heard about that not seen it in a race/event.  It's the small things.  Remember to get nutrition and drink.  There are times to do this, and I found those times and didn't neglect those necessities.  It's OK to stop to pee or grab extra water on a day like today.  Where I wasn't necessarily racing this one, but wanting a strong showing.  Wrecks still happen and I saw a burly one.  the same guy that said something about my chain asked me if I saw the wreck and was like nope, but he was like - it was a good reminder that we get to so this hobby and to get home safe.  He was like, I paid for this, and I'm not getting paid.  Let's get home safe.  Wise words.  It's ok to be kind and encourage others and receive encouragement.  I mixed it up with a few riders - sharing hills and passing and being passed, and along the way, positive encouragements kept us all in good spirits.  Other than that, sticking to my plan, rode mainly by feel and only checked watch a few times to see speed.  In other words, I executed my plan.  Oh, the plastic bag thing in the shirt trick is EXCELLENT!  Also, water to the groin and neck was ABSOLUTELY priceless in trying to stay in the correct heat and headspace.


RUN


First thing - Mother/Father HOT!  It was out of control.  I went through the two water bottles on the descent from SNOW to city centre approx 9 miles on the bike.  I was trying to stay hydrated.  I took my time, had to put together my makeshift race belt - even committing the cardinal sin and sitting down to concentrate enough to do it, then headed on my way.  Hey, there were gals doing sunscreen, so I thought I got lathered up.  Nope, big spots missed - I call them my "Angel Wings"  and it's not like Redbull or VS models!  As I write this on Tuesday, it still hurts.

my angel wings were earned this go.
I exit transition after a quick pee break before the sunscreen gals.  Then I round the corner and I come across Dennis - high 5's.  "You're doing great dad!".  Then I came up to Liz.  Got my quick kiss in, and the girls were so excited to see dad.  they each came over to say hi.  Some gal passing had a sign and showed it - Stopping ain't got time for that!  Was a good laugh but, my family is far more important than some stupid time (yup, in a better headspace).

take a moment with your family - Dennis and Juniper and Astrid - the best Sherpas ever!
I knew it was going to be rough, so I took my time.  I walked the ups with a good pace and trotted where I could.  Liz let me know that Cevan beat me out of transition, and I slowly brought him in.

I tried where I could to dig deep, but with this training cycle and just trying to be where I was at, I did what I could where I could.  Every aid station I grabbed ice for my hat and a few cubes in my groin and in my hands. I had moments where I felt great and was able to get some running/trotting in - just above a job.  I was able to meet another triathlete from Logan - in fact, he already friended me on LinkedIn.  I was able to remember how tough the double out-n-back section of something I call "devil's pitchfork' was.  I crossed up wit Cevan and thought he'd dust me the rest of the way.  The whole time tho, I was in such a good headspace compared to 2017.  That was nearly debilitating.  I was not going there this day.  I was tired, but I wasn't destroyed.  I maintained a 75% effort most of the whole course.

We were able to finish together. As I passed him on the 2 out and backs, and I joked that I will catch him, well I caught him as he was fighting cramps at the last 1.5 miles.  So we chatted and caught up a bit and then brought it home.  We finished together but technically I beat him.

Run Lessons Learned

I did take a chance in the middle of the event and I took on coke.  Warm flat coke.  I did not touch the Redbull.  It was a great choice.  A lot of people say don't introduce new things, for me, it is risk vs reward, and where I was just trying to be steady and strong, it was a manageable risk and the payout was great.  Pretty much every other aid station, its where I got my caffeine and glycogen from.  Some days you may want to dig deep, really deep and it just isn't there on the specific course.  Today was that day.  My head was in the right space, my body was undertrained, so I had to let it be where it was, and I did just that.  I came away refreshed, grateful and happy that I was strong and executed within my abilities.  I am back!


Below are my overall states from IM sites:

Overall totals

Overall details including transition times - SLOW


OVERALL LESSONS LEARNED

First of all, I'm not alone in this thing.  I was able to rally up with Cevan and also reconnect with an old buddy Jason.  Then a lot of what may seem to be insignificant connections while on course - ran into a new person in Logan who already connected with me on LinkedIn and a few others and getting quick glimpses to their stories and personal journeys.  In triathlon, unless you choose to be, I am 'NEVER ALONE'  .  I can only control what I can control.  The pre-trip stuff was a complete 'pita' and there were plenty of things beyond our controls.  That being stated, I feel that Liz and I did well as we worked through that wonderful event.

Family is still everything.  High stress and making sure we all had a pretty good time and not killing each other along the line.  It was awesome to have Dennis at T2 looking to update me and give me a high 5.  To have Juniper and Astrid so excited to see dad, and of course Sherpa #1 - Liz just glad I am not dead.  

My headspace was fit and correct this go-around.  I was in a good place all day, from handling the fumble of not bringing my race belt, to the mismanaged time and T1 and T2 changes.  I loosey goosed the packing and readiness for this trip which took the edge off, but I know the minimum things I need as I did this very minimalist. I love the backpack my wife got me.  My wetsuit fit perfect even though I feel a bit 'fluffy' weight wise.  I came to terms again with my 'why'.  I am grateful.  Grateful that I get to do this thing called triathlon.  Today compared to my first, I put out 75 % effort and finished well within time.  My first was excruciating.  I was so Naive.  Click here for a review of my 2015 experience. 

Summary

I am excited that I finished STRONG and with a solid mindset and healthy headspace.  My primary goal was to finish strong.  I executed that.  My only other goal was to PR my swim.  In the OWS I did just that by a good 7 - 8 minutes.  I then held on.  I held on and thanked plenty of volunteers and on-course supporters.  So many kind people telling us how great we looked when it was a rough and brutal day.  To hear that the FULL is coming to St George next year is exciting.  I was grateful to not be traumatized and questioning myself and almost walking off.  To have my wife say, it's time is surprising and I hope that I can be privileged enough to sign up and not just finish but go after it and do it well.  I was grateful to reconnect with my old friend witness him do well despite his struggles.  I was grateful that Cevan tolerated me and family as a 3rd wheel.  What a great event.  What a great day.  oh and let's be real - This sunburn thing SUCKS!  until next year!  I have already had a good swim and a decent run.  And lastly, in my little mini race belt crisis, to have an old race friend ping me on FB and say she had an extra race belt - thanks Sarah, this is what our ironman community is all about.  Although I didn't need to use her help, grateful she thought about me.  Thank you!  Yup, that's it folks, a great long day of playing triathlon.  Physically and mentally working through my own personal and physical headspace.  Having my wife and children there to support and overcoming the car conundrums.  Since the event, we have had a key break, now it's not starting and a few other adventures.  But, we do our best and try to keep falling forward persistently and with compassion and grace.


Activities - 

I use the following trackers:
  • Garmin Connect (which pushes the files to the following services):
    • Training Peaks
    • Strava
    • and the ones I don't remember (Map my stuff via Under Armour and things like the Great Bicycle ride initiative stuff)
Honestly, I mainly use Training Peaks as I pay for an annual subscription on it now, and it is the most detailed in data and other helpful information to keep me where I want to go. Use the 'Links', then 'Track me' section to find and stalk me if that's your thing.

Relevant Pics














No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]