Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

From 2016 - a long day of trusting a plan and executing within what the day gave me

Checkin' IN!!!

So, after watching the NFL Superbowl last night, I was frustrated, not at the game but at the many - to me - narrow sighted critics of the game.  IT is indeed arguable if the two teams that were in the big game should have been there due to questionable calls and many other 'noisy' things.  I enjoyed the John Malkovich and Peyton Manning tirade during the pre-game show to kick things off and confuse a lot of folks.  A reminder that a simple game has become a platform for many things, many of which have little to do with the two teams on the field in a 60 minute battle to gain more points thant heir opponents.

That being said.  I am a long time fan of the Chicago Bears.  For me it has been a long time since the time my team walloped the Patriots in 1986 [wikipedia entry].  That being said, in the last 18 years, this Patriots team has been to the Big Game 9 times and been victorious in 6 of those matches.  Sure, I love seeing a defeated Tom Brady like the rest of many folks.  But to witness when Coach Belichick and Tom Brady execute to the tune of the things that are given to them, it truly is an amazing sight.

It was a game played with a strategy that started the week after knowing who they were playing in the BIG GAME.  Coach and his QB set to work to narrowly define specific things that had to occur to win.  I imagine they tuned out the 'noise'.  They let things come and go while they concentrated solely on the match, and what was needed to win.  During the supposed boring game, this was executed with precision as their opponents served up more punts and the old school version of 'grid iron' type football was witnessed.  Many folks had this game built up to them, with nearly impossible to attain expectations and the consequence as I see it are full of resentful folks.

Worst game ever.  So Boring.  Do something.  The halftime entertainment was better, but that was horrible too. 

What I didn't see were officials over calling the game.  The football players played their hearts out during a very difficult match.  It was interesting to watch Coach B just go to work and seeing the Rams coach cutting his teeth in his first trip to the BIG GAME.

I guess what I am most frustrated about is that a great execution was put forth and many folks are too blind or numb or looking for something that just doesn't exist.  Then they go off and rant and rave about it from their narrow perspective.  The following meme came across today and really plays to what I was thinking during and post game:


Coach Belichick put on his ugly hat and went to work with his team.  Many folks wouldn't recognize excellence if it walked up on stomped on their groin.  I keep hearing the quote from a coach I respect in triathlon disciplines:

 "Unrealistic Expectations are just future resentments" - Coach Robbie Bruce from Crushing Iron.

So, because I have been battling upper respiratory distress and a chronic case of sever bronchitis, with my voice tuning in and out, Watching this game was something I put more effort into than normal.  I am not at the activity level that I want or know that I an be at, but I was able to live in the moment and see the value of this game.  SUre a lot of things will be said, a lot of noise and other things that are not of value - because that is what folks tend to focus and concentrate on and as int he snoopy wisdom above, people miss that we are 'living' each and every day.

The best things I saw tho were just after the game was over. Grandpa B and Tom Brady were excellent examples in winning and appreciation for their competition and efforts of family, support structures and more. Belechick is an example of dealing with what's right in front of him. The long boring an unseen rigor required to get to the superbowl 9 times in 18 years with 6 wins. A great example of managing confidence, executing change when necessary and trusting those around them. It's a game, and they create great patterns that enable greatness. For a few common worldly dudes, it was most excellent to observe and watch greatness be achieved.

Folks don't appreciate the boring hard work that is required to outlast. This is why I prefer long course triathlon. It's not won in the epic moment, rather it is in the long monotonous almost always unseen rigor. Knowing when to trust and when to push.  

Folks are asking for excellence. It was delivered by a great coach on a football field today. Then again in the post game by the QB, The Coach and the recipient of the MVP. Folks could aspire to be greater, to follow and glean good when and where they find it. It's hard to have vision in the 'fog' of mediocrity. And the fact that both coach and QB want to come back for more.

Again, not to under reference the feats here -- 9 Superbowl appearances in 18 years, with 6 of those victorious. This Chicago Bears fan can appreciate the dedication, persistence, and the journey. Sure, I see things through a different lens and tonight I enjoyed this outcome. I am not much of a football fan these days, but that was good, nay a 'great executed' football tonight!  Even if the masses identified it as boring and underwhelming.  IN the end, a win was a win, and much respect was given by those that were victorious to their competition and to their support structures.  If I could only wish to aspire to the demonstrated excellence, I would be a better person. 

And the unspoken hero of the NFL MVP - MR. Edelman.  That beard was epic and awesome, but from his sprint out of the tunnel, his play by play execution.  the details mattered to him, and as he said, he just tried to have a good solid game.  What a very cool example of just putting in the work, being present and following the Belichick model.

Fwiw. 

My humble $0.03

As for me, I have been working through respiratory distress and a horrible case of bronchitis.  I keep waking up each morning going, it's going to be today, then its like, nope.  And my voice has been very very rough.  That being said, I think I am finally turning the corner.  I had to deliver nearly 25 hours of straight voice delivered training and its killing me.  I think I am finally there.

Activities - 

I use the following trackers:
  • Garmin Connect (which pushes the files to the following services):
    • Training Peaks
    • Strava
    • and the ones I don't remember (Map my stuff via Under Armour and things like the Great Bicycle ride initiative stuff)
Honestly, I mainly use Training Peaks as I pay for an annual subscription on it now, and it is the most detailed in data and other helpful information to keep me where I want to go.

Relevant Pics




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]