Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Central park 2017 October - Post Friday morning pre-flight 10k loop

Checkin' IN!!!

So many folks want convenience of transformation without inconvenience. 


Some may wonder what my affinity or attraction and desire to do endurance sports is all about. Many don't care. However, I do care. Often times, I turn, I turn inside and when I look around, I feel alone, like I am on an isolated and desolate island (beside my immediate nuclear family). It's an unfortunate reality and too often common component of the male psyche -

(curious article about the topic). 

To land on an island and rot in no man's land, it's an art and for some a very skilled ante-talent. In fact, often times an imaginary character like Wilson (a hand print pasted on a volleyball on desperation) is often selected and preferred as a replacement to human interaction (video games are quite the common norm, too). When I find myself meandering toward those places, I typically turn to my nuclear family, extended family, a few trusted and close friends, or I can turn to endurance sports. I tend to commit to something above and greater than me - a stretch. I have both internal and external motivators. I also find it is great to render service, volunteer at endurance related events, and/or provide thoughtful and meaningful assistance to others that commonly ask me for my opinions and thoughts and free advice into their personal journeys.

For some immediate context, in May of 2017, I was nearly broken during my last 70.3 Ironman event. Somewhere around mile 64 and 65 I almost threw away an arduous journey because of some miscalculated decisions after crushing my swim and bike (both PR's on the specific course), but I did not respect the immense variable of wind (persistent 15-20 mph and gusts 40+). I had to adapt, but I neglected a key component of the race - nutrition. Ultimately, I chose to surrender and let whatever happen, happen - I discarded away all expectations (internal and other) and just completed thing and dialed it back to survival mode.  A sincere thank to Jenni, Chris and Sarah for calling out at various points in the event.  I finished well within time but the only person truly disappointed and discouraged was me. The volunteers kept cheering, my family kept hoping and cheering and were very pleased at my overall efforts.  I sincerely wish many others would choose to experience something similar. I can only control me and try to influence others when the moments present themselves, so I have to embrace the moment when it presents.  I felt quite vulnerable yet very alive, and completely mortal and human. And I have since begun a journey to achieve something different - and its quite the 'stretch goal' for me, too. I have a few things I plan to chase and achieve for 2018.
  •  A 50 mile ultra trail race in March (Buffalo run - Antelope Island)
  •  Another 70.3 in may (4th time in 4 years) (70.3 IM St. George)
  • Followed by a relay trail run the following weekend (Zion's Ragnar Trails)
  • Finally a 100 mile ultra in September. (Bear 100 - mut qualify with the 50 miler first)
Don't worry folks, I'm not just crazy but determined to persevere and stretch. Currently my focus is getting beyond this bronchial agitation (8 weeks of this annoying crap). We have recently grown the family (kidlet number 3 arrived on September 12 with a banging 32 minute labor) and we are still trying to understand the new dynamics associated with this expansion.

In full disclosure, I filter myself a lot, a whole lot. In the last 2-3 years, I have tried to see beyond the imperfections of fellow humans.  While swimming, cycling and running - one has a lot of time to think and engage with one's personal thoughts and belief system(s).  I have tried to filter my first thought and immediate observations or impressions.  I try to engage a positive or at a minimum find a favorable option or view point to share or participate with.   I feel I fail a lot at these efforts and I try to manage my personal expectations so that I extend more kindness and mercy.  I know that I am so much more imperfect than most others. I am indeed grateful for an anchor like my wife Liz .  It took so much more than luck and the efforts extended have more than netted their worth tenfold in courting her and finally being wed to her back in July of 2004.

I feel so many choose to counterfeit and shortchange their connection with humanity because they are willing to forfeit the displeasure and adversity associated with inconvenience simply to demand and desire immediate gratification and convenience.  For this personal reason, I chose to wake up and get off my island.  I began to find joy in the simplicity of riding a bike.  I entered an event, and I still dislike paying for them, but the camaraderie and communities were so welcoming.  I then began to run again.  HATED IT!  Absolutely HATED IT!  And here I sit now engaged in a 50 and a 100 miler ultra run as stretch goals.  In fact, I have come to find that I choose to 'live to run, and to bike and to swim'.  The most interesting thing for me has been the swim.

Swimming is not something I think of as a strength but it has become liquid therapy.  I can go and just get in the water, start my watch, ignore counting laps and disappear in breathing and strokes.  I tend to do 200 yard and 400 yard sets and swim a minimum of 1 mile at a time.  It's just me and my breathing and my thoughts.  Or for me, I try to get to an absence of thought.  While in the water I am able to release and just get to basics.  I can feel the water and feel what it's like to merely breathe and move.  There is something in the basic essentials that make it so therapeutic.  I remember my first few laps in the pool, and wondering why a pool length was so FAR!  Over time, some days, it seems far too short!  Irony! Anyway.

In New York last week, I was able to get 3 loops in around Central Park on different days.  The first run was very rough with my bronchial stuff.  Due to the nature of stress associated with this business week, my next two runs were strong and consistent, but recovery was tough.  I was able to run Friday morning and see Central Park in NYC come alive.  I slipped into the LDS Manhattan Temple the night prior for some added stress relief.  I tend to run through Central Park at night and under street lights.  It was a nice change up to be out in the early morning.  To see folks invigorated and out.  To not be the only out there.  During my 5th mile on my Friday pre-flight run, I had a glimpse of how I was previously running.  I am trying to slow down.  I am trying to run at at a slower pace and stay in Z2.  It's time to build the base I will need for the long distance formats.  It is an exercise in discipline and focus for me.  It's a moderate process, one i will come to do well for me in.

Anyway, now to see what the future brings.  The family is a great place to  return and place trust and confidence.  Here we go!

Activities - Strava Logs (Shane's Strava link)

Come give my stats a look or select the garmin links above.

Relevant Pics

Juniper flying at mach tornado speed

Astrid the Tiny Shield Maiden

Celebrating year 34 for Liz

Fall Festival at Logan River Trails building

Daddy i home - be silly

I am Floki, the Viking, May I eat you?

Why dad, why?

next door is this curious foundation building in NYC.

It just caught my eye this time

Central Park, NYC

Falafel from Golan Heights

Waiting on my Airtrain to Jamaica

Grilled cheese and butternut squash soup

Family moments are best moments!

I'm still alive, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]