Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Talking points included:

Click Here "Miss The City" - I had to drop this due to time

Moses 5:6-9
Pearl of Great Price, Moses 5:6-9
"And after many days an angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me.
7 And then the angel spake, saying: This thing is a similitude of the sacrifice of the Only Begotten of the Father, which is full of grace and truth.
8 Wherefore, thou shalt do all that thou doest in the name of the Son, and thou shalt repent and call upon God in the name of the Son forevermore.
9 And in that day the Holy Ghost fell upon Adam, which beareth record of the Father and the Son, saying: I am the Only Begotten of the Father from the beginning, henceforth and forever, that as thou hast fallen thou mayest be redeemed, and all mankind, even as many as will."

Genesis 22:9-12
Old Testament, Genesis 22:9-12
"9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
11 And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me."

Elisha and Elijah
2014 - Sustaining...
2014 - sustaining leaders
Elisha tarried with Elijah many years, sustaining him -
2nd Kings - Chapter 2 - 6-8
6 And Elijah said unto him, Tarry, I pray thee, here; for the Lord hath sent me to Jordan. And he said, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And they two went on.
7 And fifty men of the sons of the prophets went, and stood to view afar off: and they two stood by Jordan.
8 And Elijah took his amantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the bwaters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.

Matthew 3:13-17
New Testament, Matthew 3:13-17
"13 ¶Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

The Empowerment of Humility
"A story is told of an encounter between the Prophet Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. In the presence of a rather large group of brethren, the Prophet severely chastised Brother Brigham for some failing in his duty. Everyone, I suppose somewhat stunned, waited to see what Brigham’s response would be. After all, Brigham, who later became known as the Lion of the Lord, was no shrinking violet by any means. Brigham slowly rose to his feet, and in words that truly reflected his character and his humility, he simply bowed his head and said, “Joseph, what do you want me to do?” The story goes that sobbing, Joseph ran from the podium, threw his arms around Brigham, and said in effect, “You passed, Brother Brigham, you passed” (see Truman G. Madsen, “Hugh B. Brown—Youthful Veteran,” New Era, Apr. 1976, 16)."

Called of God and Sustained by the People
"By our sustaining vote, we make solemn promises. We promise to pray for the Lord’s servants and that He will lead and strengthen them (see D&C 93:51 ). We pledge that we will look for and expect to feel inspiration from God in their counsel and whenever they act in their calling (see D&C 1:38 )."

I'm not very great at doing the right thing all the time on my own, but I'm pretty good at it when I follow God. ~Adam Clark

I spoke about the video that Bro. Sautter recently shared with Elder Bednar speaking about Application vs. Doctrine to solve problems.
I shared about the pattern of doctrine in sustaining using the above examples to demonstrate:
1. Information is shared
2. We as agents choose
3. Further light and direction and meaning is shared
4. Holy Ghost testifies of truth if appropriate

I felt prompted to share my story of challenging my mission president in Rennes, and then choosing to follow his request when he re-framed his request; coming to understand that his leadership would be important in the near future.

Again, my talks aren't structured, I use talking points and hope for guidance from the Holy Ghost to direct my comments and thoughts. I was glad to be able to share the story of Joseph and Brigham Young (see above) One of my favorite stories about the interaction between Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.
THanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]