Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


Checkin' IN!!!

After my 1st two-a-day (Brick) in some time.

I'm still stuck and fighting this lingering laryngitis.  The voice has not come back, but I do feel well enough to actually start some two-a-days aka bricks.  I have been swimming as much as I can lately trying to regain my swim fitness.  I also have started to use my indoor trainer.  It is cold and snowy so it's my only option.  I am looking to begin running again today/tomorrow depending on life and work hit me today.

Last night i was able to swim a 4 x 500 yard set.  It was great.  It was long and slow and just good.  It allowed me to focus on clearing my head and only thinking about two things, my need to breathe and my form and mechanics (which having never received any feedback, analysis or coaching) seems fairly solid.  What I am noticing, is that I have been overlooking a few things.  The last few workouts were for speed, and that is great.  Last night was about endurance.  I kept my rest between sets to about 3 minutes each.  The great thing is the consistency I showed in my times.

1st set - 8:51
2nd set - 9:03
3rd set - 9:03
4th set - 9:04





I had my watch for tracking distance only and I swam by effort and feel.  I had a few spots where my breathing was affected a bit, but I was able to realize that and find the stroke and breath pattern needed for me.  I was breathing a bit to quickly which helped remind me to concentrate on the following:

  • Early vertical catch
  • long purposeful stroke
  • good turnover between my end of stroke and begin of new stroke
  • Breathing
  • long pull and catch cycles

What I was most surprised at was the overall moving swim time of 36 minutes.  That caught me a bit off-guard as I was not trying to swim fast.  I was just trying to get in a solid distance and begin to push the fitness envelope for me in the water.

Anyway, trying to find the rhythm and balance that will allow me to be husband/dad and being able to allow this  triathlon hobby to help me be better for my wife and children.  As I write this I am in a bit of a wake-up coma because the reality of EAT ALL THE THINGS has returned.  I did beat my alarm clock, but man, if it was edible last night past my 11 pm swim, I wanted to eat it.  I did exercise some choice and will power, but if it was healthy, I ate it.

Anyway, finally catching up after my work responsibilities.  We grabbed some pizza for fuel and although I am #teampineapple, we skipped it tonight.  It's funny watching the quirks of various communities.  I am a part and an avid support of the Crushing Iron community.  IF you are looking for a supportive tribe of like minded and community oriented triathletes, its a great resource for support, coaching and general good folks.

Anyway, the journey has begun and we'll see where I get to go this year.  Cheers!

Activities - 

I use the following trackers:
  • Garmin Connect (which pushes the files to the following services):
    • Training Peaks
    • Strava
    • and the ones I don't remember (Map my stuff via Under Armour and things like the Great Bicycle ride initiative stuff)
Honestly, I mainly use Training Peaks as I pay for an annual subscription on it now, and it is the most detailed in data and other helpful information to keep me where I want to go.

Relevant Pics

The Livingston Ladies.

Post swim with some weather in the background.

Astrid trucking along

Artichokes done in Instant Pot.  YUp, amazing !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]