Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

What Saturday felt like

Checkin' IN!!!

From Facebook: 
When masters has over taken the pool and 79 y/o Russ Daniels strikes up a conversation with you. You embrace the conversation, learn a lot, encourage and be grateful for the 700 all out laps you got in. PEBKAC with watch, so no idea, but, it felt good. Then the masters gal was kind and gave an open invitation to join.
Now to get Dennis to his CAP flight training. These girls yesterday were just dancing all over!

Well, I thought this was an interesting thing.  A few years ago I would have blown this guy off, but this Russ gentleman was really having belabored breathing.  So, i looked at him amid the chaos of masters and a full pool.  and said are you alright.

Over the next twenty minutes or so I learned quite a bit about this gentleman.  He shared different aspects of his life of 79 years.  IT all boiled back to recently being told by the doctor that he is just finally getting old.  You know, it was nice to listen and share with this gentleman.  As we wrapped up and i saw the time and was like, well, I need to hustle to get back to get our son Dennis somewhere.  He started to complain of cramps in his legs.  Then I had an impression of, man maybe the whole conversation had nothing to do about the overall and good content of our conversation, rather it was to keep him from cramping while in the pool and perhaps it not turn out well.  Regardless, it was a great conversation and I am grateful I took the time to stop and check in with this seasoned and seemingly good ole dude.

Some poignant takeaways included:


  • Age doesn't remove the fact that we all have ambitions, fears, doubts, loves and accomplishments
  • Stopping to check in may be a short conversation but it may be dearly enriching
  • We all have stories
  • A great reminder that listening is a great skill
  • Embrace the moment and opportunity and the workout plan does not serve as a reason to be a douche canoe to a fellow human being

The rest of the day is a blur but my swim was shortened, so I changed to all outs and got about 750 total yards in.  I was having problems with my watch and well, who cares about the data.  I took time to have a great conversation.  I adapted my swim to something instead of nothing and having a poo poo attitude about it.  I had a fairly solid week and need to continue this upcoming week and get back to running as well.  It's been so blastedly cold tho, that the treadmill is the favorable option.  I have been walking at SARC and then doing some treadmill work, but I cant put it off much more. 

I also had a little flare up in my left hip.  Need to watch that and get strength and stretching in.  All is well mostly otherwise.  Once day at a time. 

#zenfamily #familybalancetri 

Activities - 

I use the following trackers:
  • Garmin Connect (which pushes the files to the following services):
    • Training Peaks
    • Strava
    • and the ones I don't remember (Map my stuff via Under Armour and things like the Great Bicycle ride initiative stuff)
Honestly, I mainly use Training Peaks as I pay for an annual subscription on it now, and it is the most detailed in data and other helpful information to keep me where I want to go.

Relevant Pics









No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]