Full width home advertisement

Motivationals

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


Checkin' IN!!!

I don't believe in resolutions, but I do like the two following themes: 
  1. Chase my potential not quotas 
  2. What would the person I'd like to become do, before I commit and do things
These two poignant thoughts have been ringing in my brain and head space since I heard them in a motivational video from sztri called "Go Hard"


There are many other gems in this video - the stair case and steps concept, the gall talking about us being comfortable and its why we don't change (this I hear all the time in my professional work).  Anyway, point is.  What is it that provides me the motivation and the need to link three key D's - Dedication, Desire and Discipline?  Some really just over look the basic three D's.  When those are aligned, I am able to yield great things.

Journey.  I am in the process of chasing a HUGE stretch goal for me.  I have created the following plan:

Block 1 - Base building following MAF and run slow to run fast principles


Week # Week - begin Date (Monday) Time/duration goal Number of runs # of activity Other Activity
1 11/13/2017 60 minutes 3 2 swim
2 11/20/2017 70 minutes 3 2 swim
3 11/27/2017 80 minutes 3 2 swim
4 12/4/2017 90 minutes  3 2 swim
5 12/11/2017 45 minutes (A/R) 3 2 swim
6 12/18/2017 90 minutes 3 1 run (100-110)
7 12/25/2017 100 minutes 3 1 run (110-120)
8 1/2/2018 110 minutes 3 1 run (130)
9 1/9/2018 120 minutes 3 1 run (130 +)
Real Perceived Effort (RPE) Standard
2-3 but never greater than 4 - Fartleks or brief intensity may be added if running for time is impacted by life balance issues.

Measurements to success - 
  • 90 % completion rate of run activities above
  • 70 percent completion of other activities above
  • Nutrition
  • Zone 2 focus or RPE no greater than 3+
  • Focus on being Patiently uncomfortable 
Feasibility
Currently I am on track.  I have completed all of my activities, and am on track to nail things.  I ran late last 90 for 80 minutes and even in the 31 degree weather with wind, I felt good in RPE 2 and never really passed and RPE 2+.  So it's on.

So where do I stand

Currently I am in a good place. I was able with my two swims, to completely eradicate most noise/chatter/distractions down to the basic core of breathing.  Breathing correctly and working on a purposeful stroke that is mostly lat-based and staying north to south and eliminating side to side movement.  Swimming for me has become a great place to meditate and purge thoughts etc.

My runs have been good.  It is a painfully difficult exercise in discipline to slow down.  I have been banged from a few different sides about its effectiveness and I am forcing myself to get out of the tempo trap.  I will sometimes break my runs in two to get the overall time, as it helps the accumulated fatigue, but also conditions my body to be able to run at different times and in different conditions.

So, I have been reflecting and looking back a bit.  I have noticed a lot of change not just physical change, but mental and mindfulness oriented.  I was getting on to be a cranky and very self righteous dink-weed (there's a story here for another day).  To that end, I have seen a large change in my social media posts.  A change in how I approach my work and assuredly how i approach my colleagues and peers.  I am not a 100 percent pro positive as I believe without opposition in all things, it all falls apart.  Rather, i have tried to maintain a strong focus on positivity and opportunities to find options or opportunities to resolve and solve problems/issues as they present themselves during this life experience.  I am not sure if my wife would agree in whole or in part, but I think since realizing I needed to change - see Transformation Tuesday post here - I feel that this whole concept of "zentriathlete" is occurring.   This year I am mixing it up with a focus on ultra running, because I can manage my opportunities better there and still be present for Liz and my family.  If I was to force a 140.6 Full Ironman distance this year, I think we'd all be brittle as a family unit.  And that is not fair nor is it what I want.

Ok.  So, looking back I see improvements, not perfection.  I have many areas to focused on in all aspects, but I have made positive change.  The head photo really got me thinking.  It is a curious standard of sorts.  Value of people and friendships is always ebbing and flowing.  I am coming to realize and better understand tho, I am a resilient and used to difficult circumstances type of person.  Liz and I tend to swim in deep waters, often with a backpack full of bricks strapped to our backs.  We are not at all perfect, but with a lot of effort, adversity, trial and lots of errors, we have forged our family unit.  We are in the throws of parenting a 12 year old - seriously heaven and karma helps us.  Being a parent is so rewarding and so frustrating.  It is worth it, just like this life experience.

Things to remember.  I can only control what I can control.  I don't always have to accept the actions of another (person, circumstance or other) but I do need to acknowledge it and deal with it as quickly as possible.  IF I avoid or neglect something it will come back.  It always does, often with more challenging obstacles to navigate.  I am fallible, and just a mere mortal, but it doesn't mean I can't have excellent standards and reach/stretch for more.

Nutrition - Thanksgiving totally derailed me this year.  Li and I picked up a new Yunmai Bluetooth scale. Well, I'm not where I want to be, but I am no descending since Thanksgiving.  But I did make that extremely easy to do this year.  I am about +5lbs from where I was at this time last year.  I have neglected discipline and its time to rekindle that relationship.  Liz also bought Thug Kitchen and made our first recipe last night.  It was pretty awesome.  I imagine it to be the first of many.  Despite its flagrant use of pejoratives and colorful grammar, its packed full of curious and pleasant surprises that will compliment VEGANOMICON.    Here's some pics of how it came out.  Very good.







Well I think that is what I have for now.  It has been a good few weeks, and next week I will return to Florida for work.  It should be a solid work week and I hope that Liz does well.  I recently have had 2 or 3 friends not realize how often I travel for work, and weren't understanding how the traveling to Strasbourg was working.  I still get a sense that even tho Liz and I are fairly self reliant, folks don't realize our gratitude when folks reach out and check-in on us, especially with the additions of Juniper and Astrid.  Life is pretty goo, and we tend to adapt to the bumps and jostles best we can.  All right!  Cheers!

Relevant Pics





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]